Gardening for Beginners on OakPlaceCourt.com
When I was little, it was my parents and Grandparents who instilled the love of gardening in me. I grew up in a beautiful farmhouse on many acres of land in California. I had a wonderful childhood where most of my days were spent running around outside, or helping the adults tend to the garden. My family had a huge fenced in plot of land where they built their own garden beds and trellises to house many different kids of fruits and vegetables. We even had a chicken coop that held my favorite ‘pets’ haha! (But really, nothing beats fresh eggs every morning!)
When I worked with my family in the garden as a child, my parents and Grandparents took the time to explain the hows and whys of gardening, which it something I am very thankful for to this day.
If you are new to gardening, here are some of my favorites tips that my family passed on to me. These websites do a great job providing the information that my parents did! I hope they can help you as they have helped me throughout the years. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask: connie -at- oakplacecourt -dot-com
- 5 tips for growing tomatoes in raised beds (My parent’s tomatoes were their pride and joy! So good!!)
- Guide to Vegetable Garden Pests: Identification and Organic Controls
- The Basics of Planting and Growing a Vegetable Garden
- Beginner Vegetable Gardening Made Easy - Better Homes & Gardens – I don't subscribe to many magazines anymore (I hate wasting the paper) but Better Homes & Gardens is one that I still receive regularly. (My parents still do, too!) They have excellent gardening guides and this is the perfect one for the beginner gardener.
- Tips for a High-Yield Vegetable Garden
- Natural Ways to Get Rid of Bugs in Your Garden
- Your 3-Step Guide to Building a Raised Garden Bed (raised beds are must! Not only can you control the soil better, but you can build protective walls that will keep out garden pests! ...rabbits were the bane of my parent’s existence haha!)
- Vegetable Planting Calendar – Farmer Fred’s gardening blog is one that I read on a regular basis. There are so many amazing tips on here. His vegetable planting calendar is such a helpful tool!)
- Garden.org Tools and Apps ...when you’re just starting out gardening, you’re not expected to know everything. The National Gardening Association has put together a bunch of handy tools and apps to make your life in the garden easier. Bookmark this page!